So a few days ago I attempted tie dying for the first time ever, I kind of expected a disaster but I’m actually really pleased with how it turned out.
I filmed the process if you’d like to have a look, or if you’d rather read the step by step instructions then scroll down.
What you’ll need:
- Dye – I used Dylon hand dyes and would recommend these. You can use as many as you like, I went for three.
- Bags or newspaper to limit the mess.
- Rubber gloves.
- Squeezy bottles.
- Rubber bands.
1. Set up your area and get everything out that you’ll need.
2. Make up your dyes according to the instructions on the back of the packet and then put the dyes into your squeezy bottles.
3. You’ll need your fabric to be damp, so give it a quick wash under the tap and wring it out.
4. To create your spiral pattern you’ll need to pinch your tshirt in the centre and then start twisting (see the video above for a demonstration) until all the fabric has been gathered.
5. Wrap elastic bands around your tshirt to secure.
6. Now you can start pouring on your dyes. There are no rules here, just go for it really! Make sure you do both sides.
7. Leave overnight.
8. The next morning you’ll need to remove the elastic bands and rinse the tshirt until the water runs clear. Leave to dry and that’s it!
Here’s the finished result:
Have you ever tried tie dying?
Thanks for reading.
In collaboration with Dylon