The Alternative Christmas Gift Guide

christmas

There are so many Christmas gift guides out there that I thought I would do something a bit different and think outside the box a little, so here are a few ideas for alternative Christmas gifts.

1. Homemade Gifts

I’m a firm believer that giving a gift doesn’t need to be expensive and it truly is the thought that counts and not how much it cost. And think about it, it’s far easier to order something online than it is to put time and effort into making something yourself. Pinterest is a great place to start to look for inspiration. Some of my favourite homemade gift ideas are; cupcakes, bath products, salt dough ornaments, photo albums etc. The possibilities are endless.

cupcakes

2. Christmas Dinner for the Homeless

Why not buy a Chrismas dinner for a homeless person, you can do this via Centre Point at a cost of just £10. Centre Point will then post or email a card to the person you have bought this on behalf of. I think this is such a lovely idea yet so simple!

3. Personalised Gifts

I’m a big fan of personalised items as gifts, it’s such a special touch. You can have pretty much anything personalised these days, jewellery, photo frames, books, wall art etc. I find that Not on the High Street and Etsy are great places to look for beautiful personalised items.

img_1769

4. Subscriptions

A gift subscription is great as it means the recipient doesn’t just get a gift on Christmas Day but every month for a year! What could be better than that?! There are lots of options out there from magazine subscriptions and beauty boxes to flower subscriptions from Bloom & Wild.

5. Oxfam Gifts

You can get a great range of charity gifts from Oxfam, one which stood out to me was the care for mums and babies gift (£16), which helps Oxfam to press for better and more affordable healthcare.

What could be better than knowing your helping a family living in poverty to live a happier and healthier life? This gift will help provide the means for safe access to water for births and Water and training for new mothers and their communities, enabling them to take care of families. Giving community health centres the means to provide fully trained doctors, midwives or birth attendants.

careformumsandbabies-salamahama-2-copyright-abbie-trayler-smith
Photo by Abbie Trayler-Smith

Thanks for reading.

Linking up with: #KCACOLS

16 Comments

1. October 29, 2016 / 9:00 pm

Some great ideas here. I love the subscription idea myself. Bloom and wild are a great company and I know I would be delighted to receive one of their boxes once a month. Pen x #KCACOLS

2. October 29, 2016 / 9:43 pm

Great suggestions, I love personalised gifts too. I like the subscription idea. #KCACOLS

3. October 29, 2016 / 10:35 pm

I love personalized gifts. I got my hubby a bottle of whisky and a glass that both have his name on and he loves them.
    #KCACOLS

4. October 30, 2016 / 8:07 am

Such lovely ideas. In the lead up to Christmas I like to have some home bakes to hand for when we are doing the visiting rounds. It’s a bit different to shop bought (I hope). #KCACOLS

5. October 30, 2016 / 10:05 am

Wonderful ideas. It’s always great to look outside the box when shopping for Christmas gifts.

Thanks so much for linking up at #KCACOLS.
    Hope you come back again next Sunday.

6. October 30, 2016 / 6:04 pm

Some really lovely ideas, so thoughtful and really in the Christmas spirit! I’m thinking of attempting some homemade gifts this year – hello Pinterest! x #KCACOLS

7. October 30, 2016 / 8:56 pm

Yes love this. Way too much money is spent on useless and unwanted gifts each Christmas, consumerism really has gone crazy! #KCACOLS

8. October 30, 2016 / 10:13 pm

Home baking is a great idea – as long as you can bake and avoid being that friend who makes your heart sink as you wonder what to do with a gooey mess ? there are great subscriptions out there for foodies, I love ones from places like the spicery who send everything you need to make a meal. #kcacols

9. October 31, 2016 / 8:34 am

Thanks for the ideas – we’re all about the handmade gifts this year!

10. October 31, 2016 / 8:35 am

Thanks for the ideas – we’re all about the handmade gifts this year! #kcacols

11. October 31, 2016 / 10:57 am

Lovely ideas! I’m glad I’m not the only one in Christmas mode. I love the idea of the oxfam gifts too. x #KCACOLS

12. October 31, 2016 / 11:02 am

All brilliant gift ideas! Great post! #KCACOLS

13. October 31, 2016 / 6:59 pm

What a lovely alternative. #KCACOLS

14. November 2, 2016 / 8:18 am

Perfect list! I love homemade gifts, I find them much more thoughtful. It is a shame most of my family don’t agree 🙁 I have most of the oxfam catalogue on my amazon wishlist (we used it for our wedding list too) – it is such a great cause. #KCACOLS

15. November 4, 2016 / 7:48 pm

I’m hoping to make loads of homemade gifts this year. I love baking and am also going to try my hand at making soaps and bath bombs! #KCACOLS

16. November 6, 2016 / 7:02 pm

I am definitely more of a fan of experiencing rather than consuming at Christmas! So, gifts like tickets to a concert or event can be really good (depending on budget), a gift voucher to make a loan to someone in the 3rd world with lend with care and even I-O-U vouchers for breakfast in bed or a night of washing up. Thanks for sharing, its always great to have new ideas to keep Christmas quirky and original!

#KCACOLS