*This is a guest article*
Soon to start studying in Ormskirk? First of all, congratulations on a brilliant choice. Ormskirk is home to Edge Hill University – the top university in the North West and amongst the top 5 in the UK for its outstanding facilities. It is also the birthplace of famous names, such as former Prime Minister, Harold Wilson, and comedian, Jon Culshaw, not to mention a host of talented footballers.
Although a small market town, there is plenty to see and do in Ormskirk. So, whether you’re thinking ahead and want to know some cool places to eat when on your study periods, or are keen to find out where the best nightclubs are, read on to find out what you can expect from student life in Ormskirk.
5 great things for students to do in Ormskirk:
1. Eating out – don’t have time to pop to the supermarket after a long day of lectures? Perhaps you’re meeting up with a few mates and don’t fancy cooking for them? The truth is, there are so many places to grab a bite to eat – offering everything from famous Ormskirk gingerbread and freshly made sandwiches to traditional pub grub, authentic Italian dishes and spicy cuisine. So if you consider yourself a food lover (and, let’s be honest, who doesn’t?!), then you’ll well and truly be in your element here.
2. Shopping – of course, going to university is about studying but if your head’s been stuck in a book for a while, why not take a break and treat yourself to some retail therapy? There’s a vast range of shops to choose from – including the usual high street chain stores – and a bustling outdoor market which is held every Thursday and Saturday. So, even if money is tight, you can still wander around the stalls and see what’s on offer – who knows, you might pick up a bargain! But, if nothing else, it takes your mind off your studies for a bit.
3. Nightlife – starting university and making new friends can be daunting but this needn’t be the case. Edge Hill Students’ Union offer loads of social events to help new starters to settle into their new surroundings before lectures begin. And, despite being a small town, Ormskirk is renowned for its lively nightlife. As if that wasn’t enough, you can jump in a cab and head into Liverpool – famous for its entertainment – or visit the pubs and clubs in nearby Southport, Wigan and Preston.
4. Arts and crafts – if you’re not one for partying, there are plenty of fun-filled (and free!) activities you can do in Ormskirk too. Take the Chapel Gallery, for instance. It boasts a fantastic exhibition programme of inspiring artwork, impressive lighting features and a cosy café and craft shop which makes it the perfect place to visit on a day out.
5. Explore – are you someone that enjoys a leisurely walk? Maybe you prefer to travel by bike? The good news is Ormskirk is flat and most places are within a 10-minute cycle ride from the town centre. You can also take a stroll around the lush, landscaped gardens at Coronation Park whilst you sip your morning coffee. And the best bit is, these activities are free so no need to worry about getting out and exploring when you’re skint!
Don’t forget about student accommodation in Ormskirk!
As you can see, Ormskirk has so much on offer and it’s clear to see why it’s the no.1 choice of students. However, if you’re to fully experience student life, then the best thing you can do is find student accommodation in Ormskirk that ticks all the right boxes for you – and by this we mean suits your needs, style preference and budget.
Luckily for you, McComb Students can help. They have a variety of rooms available – across 11 central locations in Ormskirk – which allow you to enjoy the aforementioned activities and more. All rooms come fully furnished and boast CCTV security, high-speed Wi-Fi, a laundry service and 24/7 property maintenance as standard. Yet despite all of this, they guarantee the most competitive prices possible. So, what are you waiting for? Get in touch with the team today to arrange a viewing and relax knowing that your student accommodation in Ormskirk is sorted.
Thank you for reading.